Wednesday 5 September 2012

Peering Into the Dark by Susan

The good news first: Starting in January I will be working two days a week as a peer support worker at the Krasman Centre in Alliston! It is so exciting because I believe utterly in the healing power of shared experience. Whether or not you live with mental illness or diabetes or cancer, those who share our path for a reason or just a season have a way of helping us make sense of it all. It's funny but not in a "ha-ha" sense but when I first became a Christian nearly eight years ago I was so wary of anything that didn't involve the church or strictly Christian circles. Thank God He removed that judgemental, suspicious and yes, prejudicial way of thinking. I am constantly blessed in these tributaries of the Black River by the people I meet with a deep unwavering faith in God. He is often a topic in quiet conversation or prayers for each other. The people who have come alongside all know one thing: they can't change the course the Lord has layed out for me. They can only give me the space and freedom to explore what works for me to manage my illnesses. I now have an arsenal of coping tools some of which were gleaned from others. Some I collected on my own: prayer, journalling, art, music or even something as simple as running my hands under water to ground me when a panic attack seems imminent. What works for me may not work for someone else. It's all about exploring options and stepping through open doors but most importantly allowing others to come along side and say, " I understand.". We are not alone. "They found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. Him they compelled to bear His (Jesus') cross" Mat 27:32

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...