Thursday 13 September 2012

The Richness of Here by Susan L.

I'm going to talk some more about poverty simply because according to Stats Canada I live below the poverty level. Far below. I'm not looking for handouts, not at all it's just that this issue of poverty ties in to some of what I learned in a recent seminar on anti-oppression. It really set me on my heels and caused me to reexamine all that we, as Canadians ; in my case a white, female over forty take for granted. I never realized just how precious these things are that have always been just a matter of course. Things like being able to walk to our car (I have a car!)that until getting a new one I rarely needed to lock. the door. There are excellent roads to drive on when I need anything. Anything is always there. I can shop alone in shorts if I want to after stopping at the bank where I have my own account. The teller and the shop keepers understand me. No translator required. My fundamental education was free. I can read and write. I can also play the piano. All the books I could ever want, no matter the subject are freely available at the local library. No ne tells me what I can't watch on TV...I have a TV and a stereo! All the water I need comes out of the tap and my lights magically turn on with the flick of a switch! There is soap and toothpaste in the bathroom (indoor plumbing! ) My mail is delivered and the garbage is picked up. Forgive me Lord for complaining about having to sort it. I have garbage. I was hospitalized after being transferred by ambulance to a special facility for people with the issues like mine. There is a social support system that has provided fr me in my hour of need Poverty? Not really. And thank You, Lord that I can write this blog. Thank You that it has drawn me back into Your Word with the help of a concordance and the three different versions of the Bible which grace my desk. Make us glad according to the days in which You have afflicted us." Ps 90:15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...