Friday 12 October 2012

Living Water by Susan L.

It's time to bring in the goldfish from my pond outside. There's four of them ranging in size fom about four to seven inches. The pond isn't deep enough for them to remain outside all year and I enjoy having them to watch throughout the winter. As far as wellness tools go,the pond was one of the best investments I ever made. It's not very big, only four by six feet and two and a half feet deep. A small waterfall cascades out of a shallow bowl at one end. It creates a delightful sound that helps drown out the noise of passing cars. When I built it, it never dawned on me that it would draw so many visitors of the feathered kind: chickadees, jays, juncos, nuthatches all take turns drinking and bathing in the tiny stream that flows over the rocks. They are delightfully amusing to watch especially when they start squabbling with each other. Amphibian visitors have also made it their home for a while. I have no idea how they find it or even why they leave the river that passes near my house. Perhaps they are drawn by the variety of insects that deposit their eggs into the pond. At night the frogs join their voices with the crickets chorus with comical "ga-lunks". Music to sleep by. The yard is silent now. Frogs and crickets gone since the cool nights have moved in. But that's okay. I will be able to watch my fish and pretend the sounds of summer are all around. "But the water that I (Jesus) shall give him will become a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...