Saturday 19 January 2013

Not Knowing by Susan L.

It was hay season. My husband was overseas. I faced the hay field on my own with ancient equipment. I didn't like driving the tractor on the hilly field after witnessing first hand what can happen when a tractor rolls over. Thankfully our neighbour survived. Farming is one of the most dangerous jobs. Equipment can turn on you in the blink of an eye. It was a beautiful sunny day. The weather promised to hold fair. Time was wasting but I hesitated struggling to overcome the fear coursing through my heart and mind. At this point in my life I didn't know the Lord like I would grow to know Him. As I sat on the rumbling tractor I bowed my head and quietly prayed that no one would get hurt. All went well so three days later I replaced the mower with the 3800 lb antique baler. To this day I can feel the sixty second ka-thunk, ka-thunk as it hammered wayward grasses into neat, tidy bales. For once the finicky knotters were working well. First pass. Up the long slope, a,cross the top, ka-thunk, ka-thunk. As I faced the steep side,my heart in my throat, there was a massive rattle and bang behind me. The metal guard that covered the power shaft had jammed and had ripped the whole thing free. It flailed around, crashing into the hitch several times before losing steam. Language not befitting a lady filled the air as I shut down the tractor and leaped down to investigate. More words. I wasn't able to free the metal guard by hand. It needed heat. As I fired up the propane torch it dawned on me...if it hadn't jammed as badly as it did, my head wouldn't be attached to my shoulders. I shuddered at the thought, my mouth suddenly dry. Maybe there was something to this prayer thing after all. "Who is His name, and His Son's name, if you know?" Prov 30:4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...