Sunday 13 January 2013

Scribblers by Susan L.

I've gone through several pens drafting my blog long hand. I enjoy the pen-paper-enter process because it grounds my day. The satisfying scratch of the pen generates a physical connection to the words. The sound turns writing into an act of intimacy, a labour of love. Today sees the end of the notebook that saw me begin this journey. Throughout my recovery I've prayed my way through many spiral bound exercise books. When one is finished it recaptures fond memories of childish anticipations. The teacher would dig out the jingling keys to the store room. Her mission was to get a new book after making sure all available space had been utilized in my shabby old scribbler. I never knew what colour it would be. Watercolour pink, blue, yellow or green were the only options. Taking this treasure back to my desk, I carefully inscribed my name on its crisp clean cover. Getting the S's almost perfect. The bristol board cover had to be pressed back by a firm thumb so it would obediently lay open. The first gleamimg page was soft, cushioned against the hard desktop by the pages of tomorrow. These books always had a faint scent of ink...blue lines and crisp red margins just waiting to be explored. "Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of Heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things new and old." Mat 13:52

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...