Friday 11 January 2013

Show Review by Susan L.

So I checked out the first TV episode of "Cracked!" on CBC. My initial response was one of sadness because the murderer was once again portrayed as a person with schizophrenia. At the same time there was a great deal of compassion towards this character that revealed him as a human being. This is different. I will give credit to those who came up with the idea for the show. It is about a special unit of the Toronto police which has been formed to deal with persons under extreme duress or in crises. In real life there is a multidisciplinary team of mental health services, including police. They are becoming more informed as they are often the first responders to an emergency. Sadly, this is a need that is growing. Too bad that wasn't the show opener. As for the title? It isn't ideal because it is aimed at someone portraying a mental illness. Isn't every human being cracked or damaged in some way? My hope is as the characters develop, so will more truths about mental illness. And, hey, if this show sparks open dialogue? That is a good thing. I am laughing at myself a bit...Didn't I make the comment a few blogs ago about God's ability to use anything to reach His children? Lord, show me the possibilities! "I will stand my watch and set myself on the rampart. And watch to ser what He will say to me and what I will answer when I am corrected." Hab 2:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...