Saturday 9 March 2013

Cell Phones by Susan L.

The local theatre is showing "Oz, the Great and Powerful". I saw it last night with a friend. It, was pretty good although there were some scary, startling bits. It isn't a movie for children even though it is a Disney picture. Part way through, a young woman sitting in front of me began texting. The glare from her cell phone was annoying and distracting. I put up with it for a few minutes before leaning forward and politely asking her to turn it off. Which she promptly did. It saddened me that a person can't go a couple of hours without being in touch with social media. It saddened me that she needed to be asked to turn it off; that common courtesy was tossed aside because of the allure of digital communities is greater than being in the moment. I am sorry that the theatre needs to add a request to turn phones off during the show but because they hadn't, this young woman believed it was okay to use hers. Not that long ago I simply would have put up with the distraction. For me to speak up is an affirmation of how far I've come. Thank You, Jesus. "Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. I speak as to wise men; judge for yourself what I say." 1 Cor 10:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...