Saturday 23 March 2013

Uplifted by Susan L.

There's a philosophy out there that is often repeated. I've read it as the opening line in several books. The moment I see it, I drop the book, horrified. It reads, " Everything has happened to us because of the choices we have made." Really?! Try telling that to a person who has been raped or the child who fell into the hands of a sexual predator. Would any one of us choose to have these terrible and traumatic events in our lives? I don't think so. What this twisted concept does is remove responsibility from where it belongs. I guess I am a bit angry today. More than a bit. It's been a rough week. Most of my struggles with mental illness are a direct result of the choices other people made. I got caught in the cross fire. I can't say as an innocent bystander but the term collateral damage fits. I know far too well my own short-comings, my mistakes...but choice? There wasn't any. I try not to judge others for their choices. Sometimes it's extremely difficult. And here's the crux of the matter. I didn't believe I had the right to make a choice. Thank You, Lord, that I now know I do. "Behold, I will raise them out of the place to which you have sold them." Joel 3:7

1 comment:

  1. The ultimate choice is what one does with those experiences of other people's sins. God desires our transformation, and can use even evil for good, as demonstration by the resurrection. Our freewill choice is whether or not to accept His painful, healing process.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...