Friday 19 April 2013

More "i" Am by Susan L.

My Wednesday therapy session generated yet another breakthrough understanding in regards to something that took place over the weekend. At the home show on Sunday I had been sketching in pen and ink to while away the time and keep me grounded. (One of my coping tools.) Across the way was the local Arts Council booth where a watercolour artist was applying her skills to paper. I wandered over to chat with them and watch her paint. I decided to show them the little landscapes I'd drawn that afternoon. They were well recieved and the ladies encouraged me to get involved with the arts community. I thanked them and returned to the Krasman booth. I began to shake. Waves of guilt and doubt about this prideful behaviour nearly drowned me. For me to share my art with others outside my comfort zone was very unusual and way outside that comfort zone. Here's the crux of the matter which came to light on Wednesday but needed art therapy last night to cement this understanding in my heart: being proud is not the same thing as being prideful. Pride looks down on others. Proud is celebrating the gifts God gives to us and using our skills and talents to bless others. I think I can do that now with a confidence that is slowly blossoming. Thank You, Jesus. "For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable." Rom 11:29

2 comments:

  1. Pride can also be the ego, using worthiness to attempt to boost low self-esteem. However, giftings from God can be received with gratitude and shared with joy - no pride involved. Your creativity is pure gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - your ability has always been a wonderful gift that should be shared! Your art is beautiful and deserves to be seen and appreciated. That's not pride - it's joy. Joy in creation.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...