Wednesday 5 June 2013

Logically Illogical by Susan L.

I've been seeking an answer to a question I didn't know I was asking. It's simply been a vague, haunting puzzlement. Confusion in other words. The answer came from my psychiatrist yesterday. I knew it was an answer because an illusive heaviness in my heart and soul lifted as random, ill- defined pieces suddenly clicked together. He said to me, "Emotions are not logical, they simply are what they are." This was connected to Wednesday's TIR session. Most of the emotions connected to the particular memory we visited were polar opposites: love/hate, panic/relief, anger/defeat just to name a few. I was having a hard time reconciling the positive feelings to what had taken place. At the same time, I was feeling guilty about the bad ones. Now. Which is which? What a messy conundrum! My Doctor's statement has released me of the driving need to make sense if it all. What I can do is use this new insight as an opportunity for validation. Yes, I feel many things. None of my feelings are "wrong"! "You also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ." 1 Pet 2:5

1 comment:

  1. My mentor has taught me similar ideas... our culture unfortunately teaches us that we should respond to life logically. But when we live from the heart (which includes our raw emotions), we are closer to our true selves, and also closer to God. Living with logic drastically reduces our ability to embrace the mysterious, the poetic, and the beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...