Wednesday 2 October 2013

Full Day by Susan L.

Had a full day's training at work today. Crisis Intervention. Once again plenty to think about: attitudes, judgements, prejudices, self awareness, triggers, boundaries, communication and listening skills. It's a big list. Most of the session was about how to listen, learning to uncover the truth behind any crisis situation. We did a role play exercise that I find incredibly powerful and empowering. One person complained. The listener just listened. At the end of three minutes, the listener shared the positive things the complainer had revealed about themselves. I "complained" about my neighbours' loud arguments, about how I had to go inside and shut the windows so I couldn't hear them. (I am trying to pray for them every time because this sadly happens on a regular basis. I don't know what else to do.) It revealed that I know what I need to do to take care of myself. (It is terribly triggering.) I respect their privacy. It's a pretty cool tool to de-escalate a tense situation. Like washing dirty windows to see the beauty inside and out. "For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation." RPG 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...