Tuesday 29 October 2013

Haunted by Susan L.

This isn't some Halloween story about spooks or monsters. It's about the ghosts that haunt my local, rural hospital. It's haunted by memories of visits past. I spent about half an hour in the waiting room waiting for a friend to come out of day surgery. Time compressed and vanished as unpleasant memories kept nibbling at my mind. Memories amplified by the trauma of losing my mind, of being sick and so utterly desperate for help. Suicidal even. It's why I went to the hospital. The first time, the staff were amazing. Gentle, caring and compassionate. After that, not so much even though an entire year had passed before I found myself once again in such desperate need. They had no patience for "repeat customers". That's ssd because I know now that at least eighty percent of my troubles were due to medication side effects. Suicidal ideology included. So today the ghosts have gathered. They can't hurt me. I acknowledge them and pay homage to the place I was in several years ago. With a grateful heart I lay it all at the Lord's feet. I'm heading out to the centre. Being with people is what I need today. "Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand." 1 Cor 15:1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...