Sunday 17 November 2013

Adrift by Susan L.

The calm yesterday after the past busy weeks had me feeling a bit lost and lonely.
The woman I have travelled with over the past year and a half is amazing.
  Guaranteed at some point in the early morning, we would share a good laugh. Usually over something silly. It was a wonderful way to start the day. I missed that this morning.
  I am struggling with some grief, too.
  Our classes were held in a small chapel at a United Church. An altar and large crucifix dominated the west wall.
  Stories were shared about the damage caused by people of faith, by religious doctrine. Stories were shared about how the cross triggered sad and terrible feelings of unworthiness and shame. The most common theme was one of feeling unacceptable and inadequate, simply not good enough for church "society".
  What are we, as Christians, really saying about Christ's love?
  The caretaker of the church locked the doors at three, "To keep out the riffraff" he said. A comment that broke my heart.
  Oh, my Lord, forgive us.
  "When Jesus heard it, He said, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance." Mk 2:17

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...