Monday 18 November 2013

One Word by Susan L.

  Last week's training placed a huge emphasis on language. There are a couple of words that from now on I hope to erase from my vocabulary because they can be so damaging.
  The first one is "you" or "ewe statements" I've decided to call them. The moment that advisory word leaves my lips it means I know best. It means I am asking/demanding someone else to conform to how I believe their life should be. Usually that means "just like mine" as though somehow my life is better than theirs! Sooooo not true!
  Mind you, (ha-ha) a "you" compliment is never wasted.
  During role play, someone dumped a mountain of you's on me. It left me feeling angry and inadequate but worst of all it squashed hope. I remember thinking, "what's the point? I'll never be able to do all they say, there's too much wrong with me!"
  I'm glad it was role play and I was able to share my feelings later with that person. Just part of the learning curve.
  For me, it's all about wiping judgemental, conformist language from my lips. Lord, help me!
  "And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not concider the plank in your own?" Mat 7:3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...