Tuesday 17 December 2013

Deck the Halls by Susan L.

  I plan on finally putting my Christmas tree up. It's been relegated to the non-priority list while I madly knitted and built the presents for my family. It isn't a huge tree. It's designed tall and slender so it doesn't take up much floor space in my tiny living room. There are only a few presents for friends to place underneath because the biggest part is done.
  A couple or more years ago, that bothered me. I was used to the mountain that came from having the kids at home and a bigger family of numerous in-laws, nieces and nephews. The impact of divorce can make itself felt in so many ways.
  The "D" word isn't one I often use because of its ability to stir up so many emotions, even now. It has surprised me by appearing here! Art therapy, here I come...
  Which is what happened that couple/three/four years ago. (Time has a habit of blurring.) Anyways, I constructed a good sized nativity scene out of paper mache. It took me hours to create, paint and ornament each piece. Just getting the camel to remain vertical was a challenge! The time it took brought me through a bit of a rough patch because the previous Christmas I had been in the hospital following my second breakdown. At the time, I was afraid it could happen again.      
  God is good! As I made each piece: the angel, the shepherds, the sheep, kings and camel, ox and ass, Joseph, Mary and Baby Jesus, it gave me the opportunity to pause and reflect on the true meaning of the holiday. The gift of Jesus is the best present I could ever ask for or receive. It is He who belongs under my tree and that is where I now lovingly arrange my rustic nativity scene. Jesus' presence is enough to fill the deepest want.
  And so began the reclamation of Christmas by literally building new memories and in embracing new traditions that were all my very own.
  "My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant." Lk 1:46-48
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...