Saturday 11 January 2014

Owls by Susan L.

    Last night from across the road I heard the "Who-Who-Who?" of a Great Horned Owl. He arrives at the park every winter to sing his mournful song. I have no idea how long they live but he's appeared each January for at least five years in a row. I've been watching for Snowy Owls as well. When winters are hard they often come this far south where survival is a bit easier. They are a treasure to see; surprisingly big and beautiful with their white feathers gleaming against the snow.
  I've never seen its Great Horned relative but know his song well from many fictional or nature programs. Disney often uses this particular owl in their animated movies as teacher, companion, counsellor and conscience. In "Winnie the Pooh" Owl's spelling abilities, or lack thereof, always leaves me smiling. His simple wisdom and sage advice touches my heart.
  I don't know why an owl has been personified as wise. It may have something to do with aboriginal cultures who often venerate this impressive creature. It could have something to do with its ability to take wing in utter silence. Wisdom often appears silently and gracefully. Those simple and often quiet "Ah-ha!" moments are like being touched by a feather.
  In Christian circles that feather is the Holy Spirit. Although sometimes I wonder why the Lord doesn't use a sledge hammer. It might help me catch on to what He is trying to teach me a whole lot faster!
  My journey in Christ has always included prayers for wisdom. For me it is the other cornerstone of faith. Its sister stone, discernment, helps us become wise in the way of the Lord. Truth, patience, grace, forgiveness, healing, peace, hope and so much more arise because of these two fundamental gifts.
  With wisdom we are able to let go of what needs to be set free or shaken off. With wisdom we are able to embrace what needs to be accepted and celebrated.
  Without letting go, we cannot let in.
  Discernment enables us to recognize which is which.
  Just as I held my breath to listen to the owl last night, holding my breath helps me hear that still small Voice that is much more beloved and welcomed.
  Thank You, :Lord, for these Holy gifts.
  "'We will rejoice in your salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners! May the Lord fulfill all your petitions." Ps 20:5
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...