Tuesday 18 March 2014

Rewired by Susan L.

  Sometimes an emotional response over powers a logical one. Yesterday's rant wiped out the validity of rewiring our brains. It is an incredibly flexible and amazing organ. Rewiring can be done after a stroke or a major head injury. The brain develops new, learned paths enabling the person to walk and talk again. The Traumatic Incident Therapy I did, as part of my recovery from PTSD, has probably done the same thing.
  I know I've talked about TIR before but this is what it is: submersing myself in a particular event. By reliving what happened, the old paths open up. The hurt, fear, heartbreak and the rest of the intense emotions rise to the top. By talking about what was happening within the path of the memory diffused their intensity. It's like holding them up to the light. I am thankful I had a Christian therapist who guided me through this process. I mentioned yesterday about finding God in those memories. I also found truth and the ability to forgive. Being forgiven was a huge part of these journeys as well.
  God was always there even though when most of these events took place I didn't know Him like I do now. As soon as I found His presence, the intense negative emotional charge was diffused. Now these events are a source of comfort which always amazes me. Most of my brain's automatic emotional response to triggers surrounding the event was rewired if you want to look at it from a physiological point of view. I just never thought of it that way before.
  I also understand that this type of therapy isn't for everyone. I made sure I had a network of support around me each time we went through this process. It was hard but also, for me, incredibly rewarding.
  Maybe the Happy Thought Therapy isn't something I'd embrace because most of my life was lived by putting on a happy mask. I was good at it. I even fooled myself. But illusions are illusions. Cracks appeared that I simply ignored.
  I am afraid that the Happy Thought Therapy, in labelling itself as the way to wellness, might ignore the impact of traumatic events or the value in other forms of treatment. Statistics prove nearly everyone with a mental health challenge has experienced trauma. Sadly, it's part of the package. I would hate for this recovery tool to end up being a hammer that nails a lid onto something someone needs to talk about. ("Smile, Darn Ya Smile!")
  I am afraid too, that it might knock down someone who is already living with the understanding that anything they have to say is worthless or how they feel doesn't matter. Chronic abuse is really good at driving that particular lesson home.
  I've been there. That's why I feel the need to speak up about this matter.
  It boils down to this. We, everyone, not just those who live with mental illness, have the right to chose what works for us. We have the right to try different things. We have the right to say no if something doesn't work for us. We have the right to express our emotions in a way that harms no other. We have the right to feel what we feel...There's a whole page of our rights at the center, I can't remember them all but it's a powerful page.
  And I realize, too, as I am searching for today's scripture that we, as Christians, have one other wonderful way of taking down the enemy: God's Word. Oh, amazing Grace!
  "Then Jesus said to him, "Receive your sight; your faith has made you well." Lk 18:42
 

2 comments:

  1. I related a lot with your post on the 17th, and then again on the 18th. I couldn't help but think both times about the verse I've chosen for the year. Phil. 4:8 "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things." Since I have a brain injury, bouts of depression (so dark, so dark)and want to follow the Lord, I've tried to run things through these ideals. Then dismiss those that don't measure up and reflect on those that can. (Which of course the Lord fulfills completely!) I'm not sure if it is a "happy thought" process, but it is a "heavenly thought" progress for sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, what a beautiful scripture. Bless you as you walk a healing journey.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...