Tuesday 15 April 2014

On Being Wrong by Susan L.

   That's a tough old cookie to swallow but it happens all the time. I can't help it. I'm human. But, you know something? There's a whole lot of gray in this old world. It's the colour of repentance. It's the colour of forgiveness. It's the colour of grace. It's the colour of learning from our mistakes, of understanding, of wisdom...of patience. Gray is the colour of the truth nuggets that can be uncovered in recognising "wrong". Oops! It's the colour of compassion, of being non-judgemental. Gray is the colour of teaching and listening, of encouraging, of meeting others where they are at. It is a gentle colour, a soft colour. Gray has no sharp edges that cut and maim or leave scars.
  Maybe it should be silver instead.
  It weaves itself in and around the harsh division of black and white understandings. Black is the colour of condemnation, recrimination, a thirst for power or control. Distrust and many other "dis" words like discord, disharmony, dwell within the black. But then, the white on the other side of the fence is also the colour of "dis" words. How often does black and white go to war only to discover they are saying the same thing but are using different language to press their case, their idea?
  Black and white are pride colours. They are hard and harsh, unrelenting and rigid. They are the finger-in-your-face-you're-WRONG! Ha! So there! Guilt and shame swoop in with embarrassment adorning it like a shrivelled and bruised cherry on the top. LOOOO-ser! It's enough to make me cry.
  Silver is the colour of a river, of streams in the desert whose surface dances and sparkles with shards of sunlight. I'm glad there is some silver in my hair. I am thankful for the discernment age is giving me. I can take what is good and holy from the black and the white and willingly discard the rest as inapplicable to my own life. As for being wrong? It'll happen again for sure but I'm open to suggestions. I will weigh them carefully, prayerfully, and trust in my Guide, my Adviser, His Spirit and His Word to keep me in the way of truth and righteousness.
  "Then Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."" Lk 23:34

2 comments:

  1. I like red and white - as in although my sins be scarlet, they shall be white as snow! Thankfully the Lord died for all the "oops" - all the sins. In Him I am white as snow before the Father. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...