Friday 30 May 2014

Birches in the Moonlight by Susan L.

  The Art in the Park last weekend in Stratford left me inspired. There was one artist who had several representations of birch trees. I thought to myself, "I could do that". So I did. Last night in art therapy. A quick hour and a half watercolour exploration of birch trees at night. It wasn't too bad but there were a couple of things I wasn't quite satisfied with. If I'd had more time, it could have been better. But still, for a first attempt, it had it's good qualities. (Thank You, Lord, I can say these things with gratitude. There was a time when nothing was good enough.)
  I enjoy painting night scenes. There's something special in the subtle colours illuminated by the cool light of the moon. Highlights are silvered. Textures become blurry, impressionistic almost. Another thing I like is the secretive quality of the invisible. Soft shadows hide many things. I suppose that is what this particular painting was about. I didn't so much paint trees as painted the darkeness that defined the trees.
  It captured my mood: shadowy and dark. It hinted at the struggles I am having right now with depression and anxiety. It depicted the timeless patience of a forest waiting for the sunrise like I am waiting for an appointment with my psychiatrist. Well, maybe not so patiently. Does a forest anticipate the sun? The hidden creatures of dawn must. Night is a fearful time for them, a hunting time.
  Lord, please illuminate the shadows.
  "For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, Now I will arise," says the Lord; "I will set him in the safety for which he yearns." Ps 12:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...