Thursday 1 May 2014

How Easy It Is by Susan L.

    I haven't done any writing for my book lately. It's not too surprising that the shoulds are starting to squawk. It doesn't take them long to get all fired up and niggle at the back of my mind. A head cold is not conducive to creative writing for any length of time. It's all I can do to sniffle my way through my blog!
  The shoulds, boy they can be burdensome at times. Downright annoying, too. They are quick to steal peace, quick to rob joy, and even quicker to introduce you to its partner, shame. Even more so when you're not doing what you know you should be doing.
  Although, who exactly is the author of the should?
  Society? Culture and upbringing? A harsh and unforgiving work ethic? Perfectionism? Ah, yes...pride.
  I just checked out my Bible concordance to see if should was used in the scriptures. Yup, seven hundred and seventy nine times in the KJV and is pretty much equally used between Old and New Testaments. Here's the kicker. The next word is shoulder. How absolutely, positively delightful!
  The shoulds become can when we rest on the Lord's shoulders. The cans multiply when we ask for help. That is an area I truly struggle with, asking for help I mean.
  It shouldn't be. (Ha, ha!) As someone recently said, I deserve it. We all deserve it.
  (For interest's sake, I looked up several of the scriptures in my more modern NKJV Bible. Most of them have done away with the word "should". It has been replaced by solid words of action, you will, you can, you must.)
  "I removed his shoulder from the burden; his hands were freed from the baskets. You called in trouble and I delivered you; I answered you in the secret place of thunder; I tested you at the waters of Meribah. Selah." Ps 81:6-7

2 comments:

  1. I think I prefer "should" to "will" and "must", because "should" gives me an option, but the others don't. If I feel guilty because something isn't being done, I have two options... recognize my limitations and forgive myself, or do it, either now or later. If I truly can't do it, then there is no need for guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we mentally change our "could" into "should", to our own detriment. Challenging.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...