Friday 27 June 2014

Baby by Susan L.

   The young couple next door had a little boy a week ago. He's a tiny bit of a thing, barely over six pounds, but just lovely. I popped over yesterday to meet my new neighbour and to give them a gift of a quilted growth chart for him. His mom was really pleased with it and its farm motif. It fit right in with the animal theme in the baby's room. I'm glad and definitely give God the glory for leading me in that direction. Even the colours match the baby's room. Again, praise be to God.
  It gives me great pleasure to make them. Choosing fabric, finding buttons or other bits to adorn them is a bit like a treasure hunt. I sew everything by hand because I like sewing by hand. There's something therapeutic in the repetitive action. There's something prayerful about taking the time needed and exercising patience as each creation unfolds one stitch at a time.
  I can thank my son for the inspiration. He asked me to make a growth chart for my grandson when they lived in New Zealand. My son wanted something portable, that they could take with them as they moved around rather than use a door frame that gets left behind. Making a mini, crazy quilt, wall hanging with an embroidered ruler up the side and space to write age and date seemed the best option. It simply rolls up when it needs to be packed away.
  I can also thank my dearly loved aunt as well who is no longer with us. She's the one who taught me years ago how to make a crazy quilt, the easiest of all quilts. There's no exactitude in the pieces of fabric, they are all different shapes and sizes. They are sewn onto a backing piece which makes it easier than trying to sew the pieces directly together. Whenever I make one, be it a wall hanging or throw to snuggle into, she come to mind. As I iron each piece flat, or use the scissors she gave me (JUST FOR FABRIC, NEVER, EVER, EVER, USE THEM ON PAPER!) I hear her teaching me about the tools of the quilter's trade. The products of her lessons are her legacy. I think she'd like that.
  "A man's heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Prov 16:9
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I certainly understand how the work of your hands tends to free your mind and heart. How thankful we should be to those who took/take the time to patiently instruct us in such practices. What a blessing it is to produce something of use and joy for someone else. Bonus - we are blessed. (As I am sure you are feeling because, even in your present state, you gave of yourself.) I have to say - you have more patience than I!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...