Saturday 7 June 2014

Drought by Susan L.

  It's been well over a month since we've had any significant rain. The grass has barely grown since I mowed it last Sunday. The flower beds needed a good soaking last night, the poor things were rather wilted. My sump pump is still running albeit not as frequently. I have no concerns yet for my drinking water. It's an advantage to living in a river valley where there is an underground river my sand point well taps in to and one that survived the drought of a few years ago.
  I drive past ploughed fields and can't help but feel for those special people who struggle to eke a living from the land. It's worrisome times for a farmer. Seeds planted haven't germinated. Those that have are stunted and struggling. The hay crop is only half the height it normally is this time of year.  It's an expensive proposition putting the seeds into the ground. Because of all the snow, a lot of the crops were planted late to begin with. The fields were too wet to work. 
  It will affect us all.
  Nearly everything we eat is based in agriculture from the obvious steaks on our barbeque to the apples in our pies. Anything that uses canola oil or corn will face an increase in price. And food has been getting expensive already over the last couple of years as gas prices have also crept higher. The packages are smaller, too.
  I honestly don't know how young families get by. I feel for the seniors and the disabled who live on a limited income. Food dollars simply don't go very far. Rarely do prices go down even in a bumper crop year. Once increased, they stay increased.
  Lord, I know You are the Great Provider and Comforter. Be with those who are struggling and filled with worry about everything from the weather to wondering where the next meal is coming from. Thank You. (It wouldn't hurt to send some rain, too. Thank You for that as well.) In Jesus' name I pray.
  "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" Mat 7:11
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...