Wednesday 9 July 2014

Good Books by Susan L.

 Actually, the good books are by Dean R. Koontz. I only have two of the series about a character called Odd Thomas. Someone donated them to the centre. I waffled a bit about bringing them home because other books by the same author have scared the pants off me.
  These ones are totally different. Mr. Koontz writes with a delightfully quirky sense of humour and a deep sensitivity I wouldn't have expected from someone who is generally a horror writer. Yes, the books are about the undead whom Odd can see. He acts as a therapist and helps them pass to the other side by letting go of whatever is holding them back. Odd has gifts of prophecy. His purpose in life is to prevent those events from coming true because they involve a lot of people dying. Good vs evil and the vanquishing hero. Doesn't get better than that.
  The first one I read was called Brother Odd who was living in a monastery, recuperating from his own personal losses. Mr. Koontz portrayed the monks as both human and God filled. He holds a deep respect for the rituals of the Catholic order. He also holds a deep respect and love for all of God's creations. This tenderness supports the story like nothing else ever could.
  I wouldn't mind talking with Mr. Koontz. He has some profound and gentle teachings about how we deal with loss. These philosophies of hope trickle through the story lines of both books. I am going to be sorry to finish the second.
  Perhaps a trip to the second hand book store might be in order. I'd like to read more.
  My journey towards Christ began with Dan Brown and The Davinci Code. I began my own hunt for the Holy Grail, the Cup of Christ. His book inspired me to research more into the Crusades where the knights were doing the same thing. Only what was actually happening was the Knights were on their own personal quest for spiritual enlightenment. Something the Church frowned upon. Reading about it filled my heart with hunger for the same opportunity. But, back then, enlightenment was supposed to be the domain of the Priests alone. (I am glad that has changed!) The search for the Cup was how the Knights disguised their quest so the powerful Church of the time would not be alarmed. (I am glad that has changed, too!)
  Yes, I found the Cup and have drank freely and deeply from it.
  I know The Davinci Code raised a lot of fierce debate and hate filled condemnation within Christian circles. I have witnessed such responses and it grieved my soul. It was incredibly ugly. If we lived in long ago days, Mr. Brown would have been the target of a vicious witch hunt.
  God can and will use all things to bring us closer to Him. Even an unlikely character named Odd.
  "Let your waist be girded and your lamps burning; and you yourselves be like men who wait for their master, when he will return from the wedding, that when he comes and knocks they may open to him immediately." Lk 12:35-36

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 1

    "Keep on seeking, and you will find." Mathew 7:7     I am still dealing with the fallout of Friday's panic attack. The wor...