Thursday 24 July 2014

Quality Time by Susan L.

  Last weekend was a wonderful time surrounded by family, young and (sorry Mom) old. It's an immeasurable blessing to have four generations gathered around the picnic table for barbeque burgers, conversation and laughter. It doesn't get much better. Or maybe playing in the wading pool with the grandchildren is best. They had a blast splashing and playing around. The adults sat around the edge cooling their feet and playing Monkey-in-the-Middle with soaking wet spongy balls or a newly invented game of Boatsketball: trying to toss the ball into a floating, plastic toy tug boat.
  Watching my grandson and granddaughter playing sweetly with the doll house I built is a memory to be treasured. I think it's a high point for them, too. After pool time they were eager to come back inside, to cook imaginary meals in the well appointed kitchen or put toy Pluto to bed.

 The two of them are so considerate of one and another. There was no arguing, no debate, no tearful whining. There was none of the "get out of my space" territorial displays. They simply played side by side, with my grandson laughing at his sister for using a toy towel as a blanket to tuck in a little plastic bear. The only damage was because their mom dropped a wooden kitchen chair. An easy fix that simply needed a couple spots of glue.
  I really should finish the exterior. Maybe come winter.
  Years ago, (I'm getting old, too, Mom) in Florida we went into this glass shop. Beautiful stained glass panels filled the room. The shelves were filled with fragile items that sparkled in the store light. The owner also designed and made kaleidoscopes, an expensive item. I remember my mom being worried that I might drop one as I peered at it its fascinating, colourful starburst display. The owner chuckled.
  "I never worry about the kids. They never break anything," he smiled, "It's always the grownups who do."
  "Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance." Is 55:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...