Tuesday 19 August 2014

Burst of Yellow by Susan L.

  I don't have a lot of flowers. Most of my garden is textural and utilizes the different shades and shapes of leaves I have a couple of favorite flowers though: the black-eyed susans, two other tall plants with sunshine yellow flowers, and a self-seeding annual with yellow-orange blossoms are in full and glorious bloom. The morning sun makes the colour explode. At twilight they glow with an ethereal light.  A delightful harvest for the eyes.
  The squirrels are raiding the apple tree beside my driveway. It's become a late summer ritual. I don't mind. Most of the fruit is too high up in the old tree for me to reach. Someone may as well enjoy them. I used to rake up the fallen ones but once the tree is bare, they take those ones as well and squirrel them away. Finding an apple in the middle of the back yard always makes me smile. See? Apples can fall far from the tree.
  I suppose that's how I ended up with a clump of small bloomed, fiery red sunflowers growing beside the house. They were pilfered from my neighbour last year by an ambitious squirrel who decided the soft sandy soil would be a perfect place to stash a mid-winter's meal.
  It's a lovely morning and they're calling for showers later. Time to get outside. The car is in the shop getting vetted for the trip up north on Friday so I'm housebound today. I'm glad. It'll be nice to simply putter around.
  "There He makes the hungry dwell, that they may establish a city for a dwelling place, and sow fields and plant vineyards that they may yield a fruitful harvest." Ps 107:36-37
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...