Monday 11 August 2014

Courage Infused by Susan L.

  I can only thank my Maker for the lack of fear as one half of the shed roof received its blanket of shingles. Taking that first step from ladder to roof is a bit unnerving. It's all about keeping your center of balance and being extra careful that the ladder base is solidly planted. I am pleased it went safely although I did ask my neighbour, should she hear a crash and scream, to call 911. Knowing she was keeping an ear out helped.
  In God, all things are possible.
  Step by small step it's coming together.
  Again, I am thankful for the farm experiences. We re-shingled the garage, a much bigger task than the shed, so I know what to do. It was a miserably cold couple of days with a bitter wind that stole the heat from you. Never had a steaming hot bowl of wonton soup felt and tasted so good. It would have felt good to crawl right in. I remember swearing that never again would I take on the job of roofing. So much for that oath.
  I give credit to those who do this for a living. It's hard on the body, dangerous, and dirty.
  There's a house on Victoria Island in British Columbia I visited years ago. It's a Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs kind of building with round doors inside and out. There are round picture windows that look out onto the water and stunning views. It has an undulating roof with many peaks and valleys. I have no idea why this fact about the place has stuck but it took nine times the amount of shingles as a regular house. Not a job I'd want to take on!
  I remember the house was built as a private residence but so many people wanted to see it that it ended up becoming a tourist attraction.
  I loved the gardens surrounding it too. Tiny streams, lush greenery and beautiful flowers lined a meandering pathway. They had done garden gnomes to the extreme but it wasn't tacky. Somehow they belonged, tucked into hidden corners to surprise you with their presence.
  "You are the God who does wonders; You have declared Your strength among the peoples. You have with Your arm redeemed Your people." Ps 77:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...