Tuesday 5 August 2014

Let Go, Let God by Susan L.

  A reader posted a question. It was recognised as spam and was sent to the junk folder but I am going to answer it anyways. I don't know how blogger decides what is spam and what isn't. Sometimes it's obvious, other times I wonder if it's a translation program operating. I am blessed to have international readers. It leaves me deeply honoured and somewhat awestruck that this ole gal from a small town in Ontario has people from as far away as Russia and Germany reading what I write.
  Which is a nice introduction to the question. The anonymous reader asked how I clear my thoughts and center myself. They explained they spend fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to start their own blog posts.
  Not to be flippant. It starts with a simple prayer. "Lord, let my words be Your words, in Jesus' name."
  Every morning starts with a sense of anticipation as I wonder what will happen in the writing. Sometimes I have a clear subject idea before even turning on my laptop. Other times, not so much. Sometimes it takes two or three starts before a sense of where the day's post is going develops. More often my own idea ends up becoming something entirely different as the words fill the screen. Sometimes I simply wait as long as I have to until an idea surfaces.
  This question is much bigger than a simple blog.
  The biggest part is surrendering control and inviting the Holy Spirit to enter in, to be our Guide. Not just in the writing, but in every aspect of life. He is a polite caretaker and will not intrude unless we ask Him to. It's not hard. As Jesus says, "Ask and it will be given you."
  But then it takes practice to listen and to hear that still, small Voice. It takes practice to learn how to be obedient to the Helper Jesus promised us. It takes practice to give up control of our own preconceived ideas, of our own itinerary.  It takes practice to open up our hearts and truly trust in God's ability to lead us where we need to go. Actions we humans don't do easily.
  And I am led to offer a prayer. If we have received Christ, we have the Spirit. The prayer simply helps us become consciously aware of His presence. It helps us to claim and acknowledge this huge piece of our Divine inheritance.
  "Lord, forgive me for taking things into my own hands. Forgive me for trying to live a life according to law when living with Jesus means those laws are now promises. Lord, I need a Helper. I can't do this alone. Holy Spirit, be with me. Guide me, teach me, encourage me, and correct me when I am wrong. Help me learn the skill of listening and hearing Your voice in all things. In Jesus' name I pray. Thank You, Lord, for this awesome gift. Amen."
  "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you." Jn 14:26-27
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...