Sunday 12 October 2014

Hint of Winter by Susan L.

  The thermometer reads minus three. There's a blanket of frost covering the rooftops. Each leaf on the little cherry tree in the back yard has a salted rim of glistening white. Every blade of grass, every flower in the garden is wrapped in bridal finery. It's breathtaking. There's a bright sun peeking its way through the forest across the road; a sign of fall that I can see it through the rapidly thinning leaves. There's nothing but clear blue overhead. It won't take long for a bit of heat to erase the priceless beauty of the morning.
  I give thanks for the wonderful start to the morning. It is Thanksgiving Sunday.
  Pretty soon the house will smell of baking pies. My daughter asked me to bring dessert for the family dinner today: specifically pumpkin pie. It's not my personal favorite. I guess it's like Christmas Cake. Either you like it or you don't. A handful of butter tarts is nothing to whip up and take along as well. That's my favorite although Florida's key lime pie runs a close second.
  I'm excited to see everyone. It's been a while. It'll be nice to take a break from the renovations. I was pretty tired last night. And achy, thankful for a hot bath with muscle relaxing salts tossed in.
  My DNA test kit arrived on Friday. I'll wait until Tuesday so I can mail it as soon as the cheek swabs are done. I'm excited about that as well. And thankful that I'll soon have answers.
  I've decided to do a prayer journal/scrapbook specifically to record this quest for knowledge. I picked up a nice watercolour book, thankfully inexpensive, from my favorite store, Dollarama. It'll help keep everything in one place. It'll help fill the time spent waiting for results.
  Yup. It's a good life. And I'll sign off with one more gigantic "Thank You!"
  "Blessed is the man You choose, and cause to approach You, that he may dwell in Your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, of Your holy temple." Ps 65:4
 

2 comments:

  1. At this time of Thanksgiving, I want to say thank to you. Thanks for bearing your soul with honesty. Thanks for sharing the good and the bad. Thanks for taking us along on your renos - inside and out (and within you). Thanks for all the lovely descriptions that take us to special places that we can't go. Thank you for sharing scriptures. Thank you for being so faithful in your blog - so we can have a wee visit. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words. It does my writer's heart good to hear such praise. To God be the Glory, Amen!

      Delete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...