Saturday 4 October 2014

Oh, How I Love a List by Susan L.

  Except for the to-do kind of list. They get me all frazzled.
  I'm talking about yesterday's list of gifts. As my friend H so aptly commented, "If it doesn't feel like work, if you get energized by doing something, then it's a gift!" I'd like to add that if we get energized by being something, it too is a gift!
  After I published my blog, many other ideas popped into my head so the list continues today:
  Animals large and small. Mathematics. Growing things. Languages. Technology. Invention. Finances. Empathy. Sensitivity. Hospitality. Poetry. Storytelling. Song. Optimism. Metalwork. Woodwork. Encouragement. Service. Healing. Patience. Design. Problem solving. Finding things. Strength in all its forms. Law. Gratitude...
  These are all positive. Don't get me wrong, that's wonderful, but so often we ignore the hidden gifts that lay within suffering, or want, or grief. There's buried treasure in loneliness and tears. Shame can lead to the precious gifts of repentance and renewal. Anger and bitterness can evolve into forgiveness and freedom. Without rejection we could not know love. Without knowing the dark side, we could never taste the Light.
  The Cup of Christ contains all of this. Every single aspect of human existence: the good, the bad and the ugly are ours when we drink deeply of this most precious vessel. In partaking of the Cup, we claim all of it as our divine inheritance. Jesus knew them all.
  This is the greatest gift. In accepting Jesus as our Saviour, we can talk to Him about our brokenness, our hurt, our losses and anger. He understands because He has been there too.
  They help us to connect with the work Jesus did on the cross.
  The choices of one man brought me literally to my knees. Thank You, Lord, I can only imagine a fraction of the weight of the sins of the world. Thank You, Lord, I will never have to bear such pain.
  "Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with me on the table." Lk 22:20-21
 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. I heard a fellow on the radio the other day talk about a couple gifts of suffering. One was developing resilience, and another was motivation to change. Both good points.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...