Tuesday 16 December 2014

Realtiy by Susan L.

  The gift delivery went well. They were received with much thankfulness. What both amazed and saddened me was the great disparity between the various domiciliary hostels.
  There were a couple that were running on a shoestring budget. Tired floors and walls had been decorated with just as tired Christmas bling. I am sure the staff did the best they could to make the men living with disabilities at the poorest hostel comfortable. This was where were greeted most warmly. It made me wish our small parcels had been bigger...Maybe next year the Krasman Centre will get more donations to help fulfill this hope. Lord, I lift this need to You.
  The hardest part was seeing the hopelessness in some of the residents' eyes who live in these forgotten corners of our country. A good number of the homes are at rural locations with no public transit nearby. But that's assuming the people living there could afford it. The other thing is how does someone improve their situation if they can't get to a job even if they are able to work? Many weren't.
  There were eleven drop offs. We spent maybe five minutes at each place. It's not really long enough to get a sense of what's happening. Although, there were a couple that the joy of the upcoming holiday was obvious on the few residents we met. They looked happy with their situation, both young and old. But they were living in the nicest residences.
  In the end, it made me appreciate my little home that much more. It made me appreciate the ample space I have to call my own.
  As that thought went through my head last night whispers of guilt tried to make me ashamed when there are so many living without. The Lord reminded me that I have worked hard to get all that I have. There's no shame in that. Thanks be to God that I have been able to do what was needed.
  "Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you." Mat 7:1-2
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...