Thursday 29 January 2015

Being Single by Susan L.

  As much as I am content with my situation of living alone, at times it has its downside. Trying to figure out major things in life is difficult when it's a one sided conversation. I'm thankful for the blog where I have a chance to formulate what is rolling around in my head. I'm thankful for the comments and emails from friends who have given me some insight into these discussions with myself.
  Its easy to get off track when you are a lone navigator. Yes, I know the Lord will guide me. He also uses people to help.
  Jesus called Lazarus from the grave but He called on the people gathered around to remove his graveclothes. That's one of my favorite stories in the Bible. Lazarus' sisters, Martha and Mary, have also played a huge role in discovering my identity as a woman. They helped me merge the duality of the roll-up-your-sleeves-git-er-done part of me (Martha) and the softer, emotional, feminine side (Mary) that for the longest time I resented believing it to be weak. It's not.
  There have been some fundamental shifts in my understanding lately; a shedding of graveclothes if you will. These are deep things, core things that lay within my heart. Its difficult to articulate them and many are very personal. I just feel a shift, a lift towards something better, more whole.
  What this has to do with being single I have no idea.
  I'm still reeling a bit about what came out of my mouth on Sunday night at the meeting about wanting to join the church. But then, sometimes we can't see the road ahead. We trust it's there, it's simply hidden from view. All we need to do is keep putting one foot in front of the other to get there.
  Maybe this is a reminder that even though I am single, I am never alone.
  "But with the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." Jn 14:26

4 comments:

  1. As a person living alone, I have come to realize a few things: The Lord, although He speaks to us individually, never intended anyone to be a "lone navigator". It is WAY too easy to fall into error that way. God designed us for relationship, community, and communion (with Him and with others). As single people we must try to surround ourselves with wise advisers to help us in all aspects of life. Sometimes this takes an intentional effort, because it is seemingly easier to just go it alone. It may be easier, but it's not always better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it never mentions that Mary or Martha had husbands. And note in Luke 10: 38 that Martha welcomed the Lord into her house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another neat thing is how Jesus completely ignores the gender roles of that culture and time. Normally it would only be men who would be taught by a Rabbi. Martha is following the traditional female role. However, Mary is not only permitted by Jesus, she is commended for her interest in learning. She apparently is not constrained in her own thinking about having to stay in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both for taking the time to add some insight!

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...