Tuesday 27 January 2015

Decision Indecision by Susan L.

  Whenever  a decision is made, there's always a flurry of second thoughts. I keep thinking of things I would have liked to have said at the meeting on Sunday night. Things like: "It doesn't matter who is at the front, the point of church is fellowship and the opportunity to grow alongside like minded people." or "I want to stress that we need to pay attention to the elders' decisions and direction. That's why they were elected because the congregation felt they would do what is right for the church."
  I also wished I'd said that there is no wrong or right decision. No matter the path we choose, God will be there. The issue is how we choose that path.
  I don't think most of the people realize that a vote of "no" is a vote of no confidence and the elders would resign. That would be a huge loss to the church and could spell its demise. That's a sad thought. Who would be willing to take the reins of a pastor-less church in light of such results? The words "rebellious children" come to mind.
  One of the elders asked the group at the meeting to vote "yes" regardless of their own feelings. They asked for the votes to be placed according to the greater need, not just an individual's. Isn't self sacrifice part of being Christian? I'm sorry they didn't stress that this would be an act that honoured God, not men. They need 75% in favor in order to proceed.
  Maybe I'm saying this because I trust in the Lord to teach me what I need to learn no matter the source. He's done it time after time. He is able to use anything and everything to help us grow and mature as Christians.
  This situation has me worried but I prayerfully submit those worries to the Lord.
  Still, my willingness to join the church hasn't changed. That would give me the right to vote. Who knows, one vote may tip the scales.
  "Oh that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men! Let them exalt Him also in the assembly of the people, and praise Him in the company of the elders." Ps 107:31-32
 

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I think I will have to agree to disagree on your point that "It doesn't matter who is at the front...". I strongly believe it does. Leadership is just that - being a leader, being an example, showing the way. It matters a whole lot who we "follow". Just the fact you have so much confusion at the moment and as you pointed out, "rebellious children" shows that leadership is needed. Church is more than fellowship. It is part of the great commission - to go and make disciples. It is a place of worship, a place to be edified, and a place to be armed with the tools for battle. It matters who is leading in all these things. Read the things Paul told Timothy he needed to do as a leader. Read Ephesians to see how we are to work out our walk. You need people who know the word, and know how to apply it in the body. You need someone who is walking in the Spirit and is praying for each member. "Church" is a living organism with each member fit and joined for the purpose of glorifying God. Leadership, good Godly leadership, is vital. Otherwise you have a rudderless ship going around aimlessly and in circles, getting nowhere and purposing nothing. Bless you for caring so much and being willing to get involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected. Thank you for your wise words.

      Delete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...