Tuesday 20 January 2015

On Taking Notes by Susan L.

  Part of this exploration our church is going though is being asked to spend the time in our small groups discussing the previous Sunday's sermon. There are some who resented this intrusion into the group decisions about what to study.
  The word "autonomy" has been tossed around in both group and at church. Should that even be a word that's used when we are supposed to be all members of the Body of Christ? Just a thought.
  Right now we're doing a section on the Holy Spirit that none of us wanted to set aside. Some are also reluctant to place their entire quest for knowledge and truth into one person's hands. That, too, seems wise to me as well.
  Someone came up with a brilliant compromise. We'll spend half an hour discussing the sermon, the rest will be spent with the subject and teacher we have chosen.
  That works for me. I think it's a good idea to talk about what we heard or interpreted. Everyone hears something different. Sometimes what we hear or how we interpret what we heard is not quite right. It's not the pastor, it's our version of truth that may need clarifying, expanding or even correction. This is also a great opportunity to cement a lesson into our heart, mind and soul.
  Before the service everyone is given a handout regarding the sermon and are supposed to go online later to look up the question sheets about the topic for our study groups. I've tried to take notes on the hand out. It's not working for me.
  I went for lunch after the service on Sunday with a woman who is in my small group. It was a great opportunity for us to discuss our feelings about what was happening in the church. She teased me a bit because she had taken copious notes throughout the sermon. I had only done a few scratches before giving up and began concentrating totally on what was being said. I realized a small sketchbook needs to come with me to do visual note taking instead of simply trying to write my impressions or questions. Not that note taking is graded or anything, the Lord will help me remember what He wants me to remember!
  "Jesus spoke these words, lifted His eyes to heaven, and said, "Father, the hour has come. Glorify Your Son, that Your Son also may glorify You, as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent."" Jn 17:1-3

1 comment:

  1. Autonomy is the force that has created in-numerable Protestant denominations and non-denominational churches. It flies in the face of coming under spiritual authority. (Hence the name protest-ant.) You are right to point out that we are all to be one body.

    Brian McLaren has written an excellent book, called Generous Orthodoxy, about the strengths of each denomination, in order to try to help us see each other in a positive light,.

    ReplyDelete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...