Wednesday 14 January 2015

Research by Susan L.

  My Bible study group is tonight. We were asked to prayerfully investigate and contemplate on the Meetinghouse and our elder's proposal. The plan is to have a discussion about their suggested path for the future. Personally, I like what I have read and like the idea of becoming affiliated with an organization/church who calls themselves the Brethren in Christ. Isn't that what we're called to be anyways?
  The Meetinghouse may not be perfect but what thing of man is? It may be controversial, but how are we to stretch and grow? Yes, Bruxy Cavey, the lead Teaching Pastor, dresses in baggy jeans and flannel shirt, his hair is long, his beard longer. Jesus didn't wear Armani did He? Right off, Bruxy challenges us by his appearance alone. It means we have to set aside our preconceptions and prejudices about who and what a man of God is.
  I am still very disturbed and grieved by the lack of respect shown our elders on Sunday. I regret not speaking up at the time. Yup, master of conflict avoidance. Lord, I pray for Your grace and wisdom tonight. I pray that my words be Your words. I pray for the courage to speak them. Lord, help me be the voice of peace. In Jesus' Name, Amen!
  As far as Sunday's angry and suspicious rant by one of our congregation goes, in all my reading of both the Meetinghouse's website and the Brethren in Christ's website, there wasn't a single thing to back their accusations up. It reminded me of another meeting at a different church where a discussion of Dan Brown's "The Davinci Code" stopped just short of everyone grabbing torches and pitchforks and marching on the man. That controversial book fanned the flames of my hunger for truth as I unknowingly drew nearer to the pivotal, life saving, life altering moment when I received Jesus as my Saviour. My own quest for the Holy Grail: the cup of Christ, had already begun thanks to that book.
  Lord? I pray for Dan Brown, that he may come to know You. Lord, I also pray for the pitchfork wavers, that fears be set aside so Your truth and desires for all our lives can settle in our souls.
  We forget that God, in all His infinite power, His infinite wisdom, His infinite love can use all things for His purpose. He's the One who probably put The Davinci Code into my hands! I know He made darn sure I had a Bible!
  Lord? I also pray a hedge of protection around everyone who is called to examine the proposed future of our church. Help us be aware of the Holy Spirit and His guidance. I bind the imps of Satan who would tear our community apart and command them to be silent. They are not welcome. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.
  Lord, I am anxious. You know I don't do well in potentially volatile situations. Grant me the strength to go tonight. Help it not be as I fear it might be. Amen.
  I am not going to  close with a scripture today but with a motto that has deeply touched my life. It was a treasure gleaned from the movie, Apollo 13:
  "Ad Astra per Aspera"...a rough road leads to the stars. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...