Tuesday 24 February 2015

Vote by Susan L.

  The vote on Sunday was a no go for the plan the elders had put forward. I'm struggling with not judging those who chose not to follow the direction of the elders. The leadership handled it with much grace although I am sure the answer was difficult for them to hear. I am extremely grieved by the rebellion because it is blatantly against God's word and design for His church.
  Still...I am guilty of behaving outside of God's word on a regular basis, too. I have no right to cast stones. Forgive me Lord for my own rebellious heart.
  The elders will arrange a meeting in about three weeks to give the congregation a chance to put forward ideas about what they would like to see happen. I guess that's a "we" now, not a "they".
  I've been thinking more about why the Lord asked me to step up in trust and become a member. I believe a good whack of it is about respectful submission to leadership. Having spent so many years being controlled, authority figures can create a lot of anxiety. My gut response is one of survival: distrust.
  Oh. Here's a lie, "Those in authority have the right to hurt me." Forgive me, Lord, for believing that load of nonsense.
  NO. They don't! Hmmm, I thought that particular belief had been cast aside a long time ago. I am surprised to see it rear its ugly head again. Old ideas sometimes die hard.
  Submission is not the same as subjugation. In the latter, fear is used to maintain control and dominance. Submission is opening yourself up to growth through the guidance of wiser, more experienced people. There's room for discernment. All good teachers are themselves open to growth and learning.
  Bruxy Cavey calls it two chairs facing each other. It's a wonderful metaphor.
  I guess submission is also about conversation, vulnerability, honesty and an acceptance that none of us have all the answers. But then, working in community with the Holy Spirit as guide, those answers can be found.
  God can use all things. Maybe this is an opportunity for our church to come together as a unified body in order to find an answer about what to do next. I pray there will be many two chair conversations over the next few weeks.
  "Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory forever and ever. Amen." Mat 6:9-13
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...