Friday 17 April 2015

Gratitude Times A Thousand by Susan L.

  After yesterday's post was completed, I got thinking. I thought about the options that were available to me in regards to this most annoying and persistent bug. Trying to see my family doctor was one although any appointment probably wouldn't have been until late next week. Too long to wait even though I'd procrastinated seeing anyone in the hope the cough would go away by itself. There's a walk-in clinic for people who don't have a family doctor because there simply aren't enough to go around. And of course, where I ended up, at the ER.
  What incredible wealth!
  Then I got thinking of the medicines: an antibiotic, a steroid to boost its effect and an inhaler to open up my lungs. All it took to get them was to turn in a piece of paper at a local pharmacy, there's more than one. Voila! I walked out with two of the three.
  I must remember to write down the antibiotic that doesn't mesh well with my other meds because I believe it was the same one the doctor had  prescribed back in February. I didn't get the antibiotic until yesterday morning because the doctor had to change it just like before. It took some time for the faxed request to be answered. But that's okay, the ER has other, more important matters to tend to some times.
  I know Canadians whine a lot about our universal health care system. Yes, there is a lot wrong with it but you know something, there's a whole lot right about it!
  Bless the people who have done the research and discovered these most appreciated medicines.
  And bless the young pharmacist who caught the conflict and patiently explained the risks. I learned something. Different medication combinations are graded A,B,C for potential side effects. C being the most likely they will happen. Then there is X. Under no uncertain terms are particular drugs to be combined. The first antibiotic was an X. The combination could have caused heart palpitations or worse. At fifty, I don't want to start messing around with the old ticker, that's for sure.
  There's so much to be thankful for: the car to get me back and forth. I can turn a tap in my kitchen and have clean water to take the pills with. My house has more than one clock so I know exactly when a dose needs to be taken. Then the house itself is a warm, dry place to recuperate in. There's Pumpkin snuggles to help take the whines away. I have sick days I can use to miss work with no repercussions. This is a list that can keep on growing. Like Jack's beanstalk, may it touch the clouds.
  "Oh, give thanks to the God of heaven! For His mercy endures forever!" Ps 136:26
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...