Thursday 16 April 2015

Sick Again by Susan L,

  The deep cough came back. Think sea lion. It's created very sore lungs, inner ear dizziness, and a raw throat. The sore lungs are what drove me to the Emergency Department at our local rural hospital. I figured if an x-ray was needed, I may as well be where the equipment is. Sure enough, bronchitis, both ears are infected and so is my throat. Another course of antibiotics was prescribed along with a steroid and anti-inflammatory to help ease the pain.
  They've done a lot of work at the hospital to speed up the process. It's a two tier system where less urgent cases are streamed in one direction and more dire emergencies go in another. It meant I was out in less than thirty minutes. Our little well equipped hospital is said to have the second smallest wait times in the province. With our burdened free health care, that says something.
  The nurses were awesome. The initial intake nurse was kind. As was the doctor. They wished me a speedy recovery as I left.
  I'd like to hope that kindness exists with those coming to the ER with mental or emotional troubles. I've had good and not so good experiences myself. The new CEO of the hospital was part of the Canadian Mental Health Association prior to coming to Alliston. Hopefully, his influence will help the numerous people who end up at the hospital as a last resort.
 I have heard he wants to make some changes. There's a building directly behind the hospital called Mary McGill. It was set up to help people struggling with mental health many years ago. The only people who go there are those with these challenges. They get a staggering 800 referrals a year. The CEO wants to change that for a number of reasons. Not everyone wants to be seen entering the building. It segregates a rather, and sadly, large segment of the population. His plan is to bring Mary McGill into the hospital and possibly move the hospital's imaging facilities out to it. We'll see what happens. The building is rather old.
  So I've taken a sick day today and may take one tomorrow. I need to give my body the rest to lick this bug once and for all.
  "He has delivered us form the power of darkness and conveyed us in to the kingdom of the Son of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." Col 1:13-14
 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you are down and out again. Bad year for bugs. They seem to go round and round. Glad your ER visit was positive - not the illness outcome - but treatment. It makes such a difference. I have found that a label not only follows your around but proceeds you in the medical field. Rest and restore.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...