Tuesday 7 April 2015

Tootin' Flute by Susan L.

  Remaining faithful to my offer to the worship team, my flute was exhumed from its tomb: the bottom drawer of the guest room dresser. The mouthpiece is a bit tarnished after laying dormant for so long. Note to self: pick up some silver polish. The rest is chrome and isn't marred by time.
  The cat hid under the bed as I ran through a bunch of scales, did some jaw training exercises and played a bit of music to test my memory. A few snatches of Pachelbel's Canon in D from way back in grade 11, as performed by a flute septet, were there. It sounded okay although Pumpkin may beg to differ. I flubbed some of the high notes but after something like twenty odd years, it is to be expected.
  There may also be a bit of an issue with the pads and corks on the keys having dried out. Hopefully playing will correct that or it might be necessary to find somewhere to have them replaced. One step at a time.
  Waves of remembering: how to hold the instrument, how to breathe, how to support my breath with my diaphragm, (no, I can't hold a note as long as I used to) and how to finger the notes washed over me. Like singing, I'd forgotten how physically demanding playing is. It didn't take long for arms, neck and jaw to get tired. By allotting a daily practice time, that should soon improve.
  When I paused to literally catch my breath, memories of high school and the hours upon hours of involvement with the music department came to mind. There was something five days a week: early morning sectionals, band practice after school, plus my own practice time.
  That huge investment is paying off. My old music teacher would be pleased. To be able to pick up my flute after all these years...it's amazing, really.
  Hey, I just remembered, the piano has a digital recording feature. Just for fun, I could record a string orchestra or grand piano or organ or harpsichord! How cool will it be to play my own duet!
  Thank You, Lord, for Your encouragement to join the worship team. Yet another blessing is being restored.
  "Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with clashing cymbals! Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!" Ps 150:4-6
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...