Friday 31 July 2015

Family Time by Susan L.

  I enjoyed myself immensely the last few days. It was so nice to spend some quality time with my son and his family. They live on the edge of Lake Huron. The size of the lake is hard to wrap your head around: you can't see the other side. Massive freighters ply their trade up and down the lake and along the broad, deep St. Claire River. The boat horns reminded me of when I was younger and we lived in Nova Scotia. On foggy days, the lighthouse boomed it's warning.
  They call the area where my son lives the Bluewater District. In some places, both lake and river are a deep tropical turquoise. In others a dark navy and there's a thousand shades of blue in between.
  We went to the beach a couple of times. The first one was near the mouth of the river where, once in the cool water (a long, slow process), the river's current pulled at your legs. The beach was littered with rounded stones and fossilized shells and corals. I came home with a bag of stones carefully gathered by my granddaughter and I. (She kept the fossils.) The second beach we went to was a bit further up the coast in a sheltered cove. The sandy beach stretched for miles. The water was shallow and warm. We had to wade out a couple hundred feet to find deeper water. The pockets of cooler water felt almost sub-arctic!
  I was glad I went down because we had a blast of humid heat making temperatures feel well over forty-five degrees Celsius at times. Being near the water, being able to dunk yourself in the cool freshness made it more bearable.
  There were many favorite moments, jewels to be kept near to the heart. One was walking with my three year old grand-daughter's hand held in mine as we chatted merrily about anything and everything. Another was reading a story to my grandson and discussing what we were going to do when they come camping at my place. The last was simply being there with them.
  I am looking forward to their coming up for a visit.
  "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Mat 6:21
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...