Monday 3 August 2015

Thunderstorm by Susan L.

  In true Southern Ontario fashion, the excessive heat of the last week or so was wiped away in a matter of moments. One of the most violent thunderstorms I have ever seen whipped through the area last night around supper time.
  The sky to the north west became a dangerous and ominous green. I could hear the storm long before it raced over head. A few tentative gusts of wind blew chilly through the windows before the full force of the storm hit hard. The temperature plummeted fourteen degrees as the wind bent the trees and I quickly shut my windows. Even in my protected valley, the taller ones lashed back and forth. My first anxious thought was "Tornado!" and at the same time I was wondering if the big tree in my front yard would come crashing down.
  Then the rain started. Whipped into a gazillion drops, it swirled and lashed the ground. It blew off the roof like snow then fell in a brief but steady torrent before tapering off. The rain didn't last as long as the noise or light show.
  The lightning was as intense as a fireworks' finale. The thunder rumbled like a freight train. The longest time between crackles and growls was three seconds. I only made it to three once.
  It took about forty minutes from when I first heard it gathering on the horizon until it passed out of earshot.
  There may have been a tornado touch down about forty kilometers from here. Environment Canada will be sending a team to investigate today. Still, the hundred kilometer an hour winds did a lot of damage to trees and power lines. I guess the valley did help protect those of us who live here.
  I pray for those who were impacted by this incredibly violent storm.
  On a different note, I'd like to take a moment to thank my readers. Today is a milestone day. My blog has reached thirty thousand hits! It is so encouraging and affirming. Bless you all.
  "And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind." 1 Kings 19:12
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...