Sunday 23 August 2015

Yard Work by Susan L.

  As much as  I hate wearing mosquito repellent, it took a good spray to fend off the mosquitoes yesterday. West Nile Virus has been found in the area so it seemed a prudent idea. A couple hours of perspiration diminished the effect so here's hoping the couple bugs that had a feed are virus free.
  It was a lovely day to be outside weeding, dead heading, raking up fallen apples as well as trimming and mowing the lawn. I had to stop grass cutting a couple of times to relocate some tiny toads that had taken up residence where the grass was especially green and thick. They were placed safely in the flower beds so they could continue their mosquito eating habits. The mower also disturbed a young wood frog. If frogs can be considered beautiful, that one surely is with its smooth brown skin, streamlined body and striking black eye shadow.
  There are numerous spiders of all sorts. The hostas, black-eyed susans, and taller flowers were often decorated with a gossamer garland or shimmering web. Even though I hate getting a face full of sticky web, I tried hard not to break too many simply because spiders are also mosquito eaters. I'm more that happy to extend the hospitality of my yard to them!
  There's something about these tiny, natural treasures that fills me with delight. They leave me feeling blessed that my yard and garden are a safe haven for many of God's creeping, crawling creations.
  "There are four things which are little on the earth, but they are exceedingly wise: The ants are not a people strong, yet they prepare their food in the summer; The rock badgers are a feeble folk, yet they make their homes in the crags; The locusts have no king, yet they all advance in ranks; The spider skillfully grasps with its hands, and it is in kings' palaces." Prov 30:24-28
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...