Tuesday 29 September 2015

New Beginnings by Susan L.

  Perhaps I should call it a time of harvest in keeping with the season. Sunday's premier opening of yours truly on the flute went really well. It helps that the congregation is looking at the screen where the words to the music are shown and not at the band. It helps, too, that God's grace and peace filled me and wiped out any jittery nerves.
  I did find having a microphone pointed my way a bit intimidating. That is new. Any band I've ever played in hasn't used them. Still, the Lord's calming hand on my heart didn't make it an issue.
  The team leader has written some more flute parts for the Thanksgiving service. One of them is rather high. I wrote to her last night, telling her that I had to scrape the bottom of the memory barrel to remember how to play the highest notes. She wanted to know if I could perform what she had written. Forgetting isn't surprising. It has been thirty or so years. In a matter of moments, my hands remembered how to play the high, sweet notes. Thanks be to God.
  Having enough breath to sustain them? That needs some work. My somewhat flabby core muscles need to be built up as well to support the air going out.
  The interview for the Patient and Family Council at the hospital went well. Part of me wants to do this, part of me is reluctant to take on the commitment. I'll leave it in God's hands. They'll get back to me some time next week to let me know if I've been accepted or not.
  It's good to have all of this coming my way. Fall tends to be a slippery time in regards to my mental health. The night closing in earlier usually leaves me feeling a bit depressed. It's good to fill this time with things to look forward to. The opportunity to make new memories to replace the old, sad ones is wonderful. Maybe the title of today's post is appropriate after all.
  "Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?' But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also until I dig around it and fertilize it. And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.'" Lk 13:7-9

2 comments:

  1. Funny how fall is your slippery slope and it is my deep breath. It is my favorite season. I find summer has so many expectations. It is still light, you should still be doing something, going somewhere, accomplishing. Where fall is a step back. It gets dark earlier so people aren't expecting you to go out later in the evening. Or it is raining and the best place to be is home. Crafts come out. Comfort food prepared. More relaxing and reflecting than rushing. Funny how we are all so different. Oh, there is also the side of wearing more clothes...a blessing for everyone...ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...