Saturday 3 October 2015

Answer by Susan L.

  The phone rang yesterday just before I had to leave for work. It was the woman from the hospital who had interviewed me for the Patient and Family Council. They have all the people they want for now but will keep my file handy in case anything regarding mental health arises.
  Part of me is relieved. In going through the application process, it felt like I was biting off more than I could chew. They only met once a month but the role included many hours of research, education and report writing. It was a good experience though, going though the application/interview process.
  Then there's the part of me that's sad and frustrated that the treatment of mental health patients is placed on the back burner. Our local hospital needs much in the way of improving the care of a terribly vulnerable part of our population. That part is growing at an alarming rate as well.
  Hmm, perhaps I could go ahead and write a report to send to them anyways. It's not like the improvements would cost the hospital very much money. Treating people with dignity, kindness, compassion and sensitivity doesn't have a dollar factor attached to it. It's free.
  It wouldn't hurt to help the staff become trauma informed as well. Traumatic events are the root of mental health challenges and addictions. Being treated callously or punitively only adds harm to existing hurts.
  Then there's the medication issue. I know from personal experience: meds that are supposed to help can cause a person to be suicidal and confused. It's a scary place to be in. The first thing a psych ward or hospital does is change your meds if you are on any. That alone is a difficult transition never mind having to battle the symptoms of whatever ails your mind. It can last for weeks.
  I'm thinking too that in the initial phase of my recovery, I believed that a pill held all the answers; that somehow a doctor could fix me and make me as good as new. Isn't that what we are taught? "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning." I am much wiser now. They are only one tool.
  Or maybe I'll simply send the link for today's post to the woman in charge of the council.
  It's something to pray about. Your will, Lord, not mine. Your plan, not my own. Amen!
  "It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." Is 65:24

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...