Wednesday 2 December 2015

In the Company of Women by Susan L.

  We have a wonderful young man, a student, doing his internship with us at the centre. Often he is the only man there. He grew up with three or four sisters so he feels right at home with us women. Nothing fazes him even when we get laughing and chatting about the effects of age, gravity and hormones.
  It's made me aware of just how incredibly valuable my women friends are. Watching the student interact, and he is a natural at drawing people out of themselves, has driven home just how special, how unique each of them are.
  I am truly blessed by having them in my life. I am truly blessed to have the centre as well. It creates an environment of openness and honesty, where the trappings of "society" can be laid aside. Roles and rules and expectations have no place. Instead, the truth of who we are can shine and be embraced by others. It's a place where our faults and sharp edges are gradually smoothed away by love and acceptance.
  Every time I go there, I find a gathering of women who come together and nurture each other by sharing a tear or a joke or a recipe. Challenges find themselves not so challenging. Successes are much sweeter when joy is shared. We celebrate our children and grandchildren or share our concerns for them as they, too, find their way in life.
  I was a long time without friends. Isolation is a weapon of control. I finally understand why. Friends are people we can draw strength from when our own is failing. Friends can help us see the truth in our circumstances. Friends provide a haven in the midst of a hard and often cruel world.
  We were never meant to go it alone.
  Thank You, Lord, for bringing these women into my life and this young man as well! His gentle manner has done much to heal my own wounds.
  "I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness, and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing wit one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." Eph 4:1-3
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. We should get all what you expressed from our body of believers at the church. Sad when we don't, edifying when we do. So glad you found some touchstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often forget that God's body extends beyond church boundaries. Just because these women don't go to church with me doesn't meant they aren't Christians. Most of them are. My prayer is that I can take the blessings of these women and pay them forward. They have taught me much about how to be a friend. I pray as well, that you find such a place of belonging. In Jesus Name. Amen

      Delete

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...