Friday 8 January 2016

Appreciation by Susan L.

  I've had experience with the three major government social assistance programs for people living with disabilities. (Thank You, Lord, that they are there for those in need!)
  Employment Insurance, which used to be welfare, is a support where a single person who is either unable to work, who is waiting for disability, or is in desperate straits may receive a maximum of $450 a month to live on. Next is the Ontario Disability Support Program where, if you qualify under a disability, will provide a little over a thousand a month. Then there is the federal Canada Pension Plan Disability program. They base their assistance on the amount you have contributed towards retirement into the Canada Pension Plan when and if you worked. It's automatically deducted from your wages.
  In some countries those would be staggering amounts. Here in Southern Ontario, where rent can easily reach four figures, it's tough to get by on. Food banks are flourishing. Homelessness is everywhere. For a country as rich as ours, the poverty rate is shameful.
  But that's not why I am writing about this.
  Once a year I have to contact CPP to let them know how I am doing; if there have been any changes to my employment or health. That was last May. I had a call this morning from a representative as a follow up to last May's call. Our government systems aren't known for speed.
  She's the second person at CPP I have dealt with over the years. Both were kind, friendly and most encouraging. Even though part of their role is to facilitate clients returning to work, because I work in an incredibly supportive environment focused around mental health, they are quite pleased with the status quo.
  It's a relief, really. My stomach always gets into knots when I get one of these calls.
  Lord, I am most thankful for the supports we have in place in this country and for the good people who work at what must be a challenging job.
  "You crown the year with Your goodness, and Your paths drip with abundance." Ps 65:11

4 comments:

  1. You may want to confirm with CPP that you are also receiving the Child Rearing Drop Out Provision. It is meant to take out the years you were home raising children under the age of 6 and earning less money from your years of "better" contributions. The line you fill in on the forms doesn't always catch people's attention as being important enough to fill in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly can relate to the phone calls (or letters) churning your stomach. I go into a panic. Usually all is well. Yet, at times, it is such a struggle. I am thankful, oh so thankful, but it is like living with an axe over your head that could drop at any time. I have to remind myself that fear is not trusting.

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...