Tuesday 29 March 2016

Remarkable Men by Susan L.

   Sometime in the middle of the afternoon, this hydro crew showed up. I guess they were looking at clearing the downed line in my neighbour's back yard. It's buried under several massive trees and limbs. I guess that pile of timber needs the expert hand of lumberjacks.
  Everyone in my little row of houses has hydro now so all they did was clear away some of the pine trees that were touching it. Those are the ones that caught fire.
  They worked on it a bit then left, moving on to other more urgent matters. As of yesterday evening there were still many people without power.
  The weather was absolutely lousy. There were high gusts of arctic air, blowing snow and frigid rain. I am sure it made an already dangerous job all the more hazardous. The pole man's cleats slipped a couple of times on the slick surface.
  So here he is, roughly twenty feet in the air, swaying in the wind, carrying what has to be fifty pounds of equipment, when the ground crew sends a chainsaw up. He used it to cut the top of the tree off as he hung there by rope and belt.
  It wasn't a very big one but still...It made my own fears of that power tool seem rather, well, fearful. Like any tool, if used properly, it is safe. Hmmm...I am still not going to use one. Besides, it doesn't hurt to ask for help once in a while!
  So now my only concern is the sump pump. If they come to clear the downed lines and need to shut off the power if I am not home to fire up the generator, the basement will flood. I have to work every day this week. So, Lord, I pray they will not come when I am not home. You have provided everything that was needed during the crisis and provide everything I need when there isn't a crisis. Hear my prayer, in Jesus' name I pray. Amen!
  "Oh, that men would give thanks to the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men!" Ps 107:31
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...