Sunday 10 April 2016

Character by Susan L.

  I had an interesting conversation yesterday. Someone asked me if by thinking of myself as being a warrior means that I see everything as being a battleground. Far from it. From what I understand, being a warrior, a soldier, means a whole lot of waiting around for something to happen.
  Perhaps this is a bit of romanticising but, for a me, a warrior is more than a job, it's character. Integrity, honesty, loyalty, determination, patience, the ability to take orders...being thankful that, in Christ, I am permitted to discern where those orders come from and am given the choice about obeying. Blind faith is a dangerous one.
  As for being a keeper of the keys, part of it is my love of teaching, of facilitating the development of new skills in others. I simply open the door. It is a position of trust because it is so easy to crush a fledgling ability. There's more to it but again it is another aspect of character. The same integrity, honesty, loyalty, determination, and patience are part of that identity as well.
  But the greatest of these is love.
  I know this is where I stumble. The Lord is working with me on that.
  In a fit of frustration I drafted a letter to our town council about the speeders on my road. There's a plan to go door to door and get signatures asking the council to lower the speed limit.
  On the way to worship practice, I got corrected. Big time. Why do I feel it's okay for me to speed past other people's homes yet get angry when they do the same to me? I no longer speed. Point taken.
  "Love does no harm to a neighbour; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." Rom 13:10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...