Monday 2 May 2016

Gratitude of Success by Susan L.

  The deck floor is installed after putting in a long day Saturday. I was happy it rained Sunday and really happy that my son and daughter-in-law came for a visit so nothing more could be done the next day. The ole body was pretty done in. So much so, I slept in and was late for pre-service worship practice. Only by twenty minutes but thankfully the team was just at the point of starting to rehearse. I was glad it takes a fair bit of time to set up the sound system so there were moments to spare.
  Between moments of measuring, cutting, kneeling, and bending on Saturday, waves of gratitude washed over me. Thankfulness for the skills. Thankfulness for the resources to learn what I don't know. The tools, the strength, the fact that the deck foundation is still solid, all gave me something to be grateful for. The sun was shining but when it moved around to the west and left the front of the house in shadow, I was really glad. Even though being in the sun felt so good, the shade felt good as well.
  I gave thanks for the extra tools that make life so much easier when dealing with twelve foot boards on my own without someone to hold them. A metal stand with a roller on top, set to the same height as my electric mitre saw, means I don't have to wrestle with boards falling away once they are cut. There's a wooden saw horse for the other side, built to do the same thing.
  And my wheelbarrow! It doubles as a table as I remove nails from the boards taken off the old deck. It served to haul them to the pile in the driveway. When the job was done, rather than putting all the tools that will be needed again back into the basement, they all went into the wheelbarrow and were wheeled into the shed to be locked up, safe and sound. I am glad there's a shed big enough for it!
  I was also very, very thankful for the plastic chair that gave me a few moments towards the end of the day to sit and rest. There was a push on to get the floor boards screwed down before they warped too much. The mind was willing, the flesh groaned.
  When things go well, it is easy to be thankful. The challenge comes in offering gratitude up to the Lord when things aren't going so great.
  Help me, Lord, be thankful in all aspects of my life no matter what they may be. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen!
  "And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us." Rom 5:3-5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...