Tuesday 17 May 2016

Plumbing by Susan L.

  So the ancient, back-up pump saved the day again. It appears I need to replace the main one because it quit working again. This is the third time in ten years a newer pump has had to be replaced while the old, original one keeps on ticking. It's going to take some messing around to get a new one to fit in the sump pit beside the old one because they've changed the design.
  I am sorry I didn't get the contractors to install a bigger liner than the one they put in. It's a really tight squeeze to get two pumps to fit with enough room that the floating switches that turn them off and on have room to rise and fall. It's all cemented into place so replacing the liner isn't an option.
  The Lord knows I love a puzzle.
  I think I have to replace the pipe that runs under the grass with a larger one so the pump doesn't have to work as hard to get the water down to the culvert. That could be part of the issue. It's something that should have been done a while ago but digging a seventy foot trench isn't my idea of fun.
  So for today, the deck build/landscaping will have to be postponed. A trip to the hardware store for the necessary supplies is the first step. Thankfully we had some rain so the ground will be nice and soft for digging.
  Thank You, Lord, for Your provisions. Thank You that it has happened often enough that I know how to fix this problem. Thank You that everything will be made to work. Thank You that I am able to dig the needed trench. Help me make sure I get everything needed in one trip.
  I don't quite trust the old pump to keep going so I'd best be off before it decides to go on strike as well! (Oh, Lord, that it will keep going!)
  "Who shall separate us form the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?" Rom 8:35
 

 
 

8 comments:

  1. I must be daft, but why do you need pumps in the basement? Why the water? Is your house over a river or spring? It sounds odd. (And a worry and an expense.) It is a good thing you are so handy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not daft at all! My little house, when it was built in the 50's, should never have had a full basement. It should have been built with a four foot crawl space. In Canada, either is necessary to get a house foundation below the frost line to prevent the structure from shifting with the changing seasons. I know that with today's environmental rules, the house would never have been built so close to the river as well.
      My basement floor is two feet below the wetlands across the road. Water, water, everywhere! My problem is excessive and unusual but also seasonal. It dries up in late summer or freezes in January.
      I've done much to fix the issues. When I first moved in, the water ran across the basement floor. I'd bought the place in the fall when there was no evidence of the problem. I don't know if that would have prevented me buying it anyways. Most homes in Ontario have a sump pit and pump. In fact, all new builds have to have one by law. So now you know!

      Delete
    2. I too live in Canada and in an area that is borderline rain forest - so we know wet. I also live on an island, which of course is surrounded by water. Yet, I only know one person who put a "just in case" sump pump in their basement. All the foundations have to be waterproofed and have proper drainage tiles. It is what is is... thanks for educating me. The price you pay for living across the wetlands and enjoying all of God's nature!

      Delete
    3. Rain forest, an island, water...it sounds absolutely beautiful, too!

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how older pieces work better than newer pieces at times, but it is a good thing your back-up pump works properly. I hope you are able to replace the pipe that runs under the grass. Are you going to have to dig the trench on your own or will you have help from others? It will be worth the work when you don't have to replace the pump anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to dig the trench by myself. Thankfully, it's shallow because there isn't much of a drop in grade from house to ditch. The hose was left running at a trickle while digging to make sure the water flowed downhill and there was no pooling anywhere.

      Delete
  3. The pump that you used as a back up certainly came in handy. That is why some people say if something is not completely useless, do not throw it away. It may not be the most modern of tools or a digital fixture but in a jam, it really helped you out. At least you were not under any undue stress.

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all cemented into place so replacing the liner isn't an option.royalplbg.com

    ReplyDelete

Boundary Study Part 2

   "Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God--truly righteous and holy...