Friday 10 June 2016

Joys of Depression by Susan L.

  Several years ago I read something somewhere that stood out for me in a huge way. It was as big as the title of the book, "A New Kind of Normal", that helped me begin to process and accept the sudden changes in my life. The expression was, "The Gift of Depression".
  It's hard to wrap my head around the positive aspects of what can be a debilitating issue. But they are there. Learning to simplify, to let go. Learning to be kind to myself, learning to reach out...well, that last one's a work in progress.
    My battles with the hills and valleys of depression and the ongoing challenges that are part of PTSD have taught me how to be grateful. The joy of gratitude may not be a whoop it up, dance party when I'm in the Black River but merely a simple smile at or about something.
  It's like finding the growing walnut in the middle of the dirt bag. Finding this little treasure has meant a lot to me. Since being planted where the sun can encourage it to grow, the white stick has turned brown and the leaves are slowly emerging. If a seed can bring forth life in such utter darkness, how much more can the Lord bring to life from the seeds of a smile?
  There's joy in trusting to hope for better days even when better days are merely a wisp of the imagination and hope is a wraith.
  But then, even if I am in the River, it isn't as deep as it has been in the past. For that, I thank You, my Lord, for this, too, shall pass.
  "For if we died with Him, we shall also live with Him. If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us. If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself." 2 Tim 2:11-13

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pattern

"For it was I, the Lord your God, who rescued you from the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it with good things.&qu...